Google Transform '15 Report
On April 25, 2015, we were excited to bring 82 educators together in Boise for Google Transform '15! At this event, we had eleven educators (eight from K-12 and three from higher education) lead sixteen sessions on Google Tools for transformational classroom change.
Most of the presenters were practicing, full-time classroom teachers, and this was their first time presenting in a large session format to groups of teachers. Nonetheless, sessions were rated very highly by participants overall (3.5/4.0), and some of the highest rated sessions included Becoming a Search Ninja by Royce Kimmons (3.9/4.0), Google Doodles and a Google a Day in the Classroom by Cassidy Hall (3.9/4.0), and Collaborative Learning and Critical Thinking with Sites by Katie Graupman (3.9/4.0).
When reflecting on the day, many participants expressed that the event was of great value for them. Some responses included the following:
- My day was great. Learned lots of exciting new things and can't wait to use them in my classroom.
- I learned so much that I didn't know.
- This was an exciting learning and networking opportunity.
In addition, some feedback on individual sessions included the following:
- This was not only informative but very interesting. [This session's content] should be emailed out to all district employees!!!!
- Very fun and informative.
- Great presenters. Practical and useful information. I appreciate the progressiveness of the admin/teachers.
- Great job presenting with such applicable information. Fantastic pace. I appreciate that it was interactive and that we got to play the "student" role.
- Outstanding ... would seriously recommend this topic be promoted for a much longer session. [The presenter] was very knowledgeable and [I was] impressed with his command of the material.
- [She] was a fantastic presenter. She knows her stuff and gave us tools we can use. Her students must be very engaged in their learning. Thank you!
- I wish it was a longer session!!!
- [The presenter] is fabulous!
- Great job--I'm leaving with lots of ideas :)
- [The presenter was] much more FLOW like with his teaching not linear, very refreshing approach.
- This was so eye opening!!!!!! Wish these tools were available when I was having to write college papers!
- Amazing! ... What a wonderful session!
- I really appreciated the content and questions that [the presenter] provided. It made for an engaging instrospective learning experience about a topic that largely goes unaddressed in public K-12.
- [The presenter] is very easy to listen to. He is very informed on his topic and very organized in his presentation.
- Great challenges that made me think and problem solve. Loved it.
- [The presenter] rocked It! I thought I new quite a bit, but now I certainly know more!
- Thank you, [presenter]!!!! For answering genre specific issues. It is not easy to find answers to issues with [the session tool] that are specific to our fields of expertise.
- This lesson was structured so well that I was creating ... throughout the entire session! When I had to ask for clarification/instruction, [the presenter] was very helpful and understandable.
Resources from sessions are available on the event website.